Saturday, February 5, 2011

Thoughts from Rachel

I just wanted to tell everyone how much I respect and admire the group of nurses I traveled with to Cien Fuegos.  This was one of the most physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging endeavors I have ever undertaken, and I know we were all equally exhausted.  Despite the challenges we faced during the week, we came together, supported one another, and worked as one of the most efficient and dedicated teams I have ever been a part of.  I am so proud to have worked along side each one of these nurses!  I left Cien Fuegos feeling more proud to be a nurse than I've ever been. 

I came home from this mission very enlightened.  I was so inspired by the people of Cien Fuegos.  The patients we saw were so joyful despite living without basic necessities.  Many had no access to things like running water, refrigeration, or transportation, things I cannot imagine living without.  Regardless of the things they didn't have, the people were happy.  I hardly met a local person without a smile on their face.  The adults were thankful for vitamins and someone to share their problems with.  The children were so grateful for small gifts like  pencils, stickers, or plastic trinkets.  I left with a different perspective because of the people in Cien Fuegos.

1 comment:

  1. You were a great blessing to the team Katrina! Thank you for all your hard work, bringing great toys, and teaching materials in the making. Today leaders met to consider joining health education with the Clean Water Project! There is hope for the future of Cien Fuegos, Santiago, Dominican Republic.

    ReplyDelete