Monday, February 7, 2011

Message from Katrina

I feel so blessed to have been a part of this mission.  We all learned so much from the people in Cien Fuegos and also from eachother. 
Something I found very inspiring was the interest of the patients in learning about health and how to live healthier lives.  Men, women, and children sat attentively and absorbed everything I had to say during health education sessions.  The people were interested in everything we had to offer, even if it was just advice on how to reduce their risk of hypertension or diabetes. 
I worked closely with a church volunteer who only spoke spanish.  Not only was she very enthusiastic about health education, she took on the responsibility when there was no translator to assist me.  She had listened to my talks on diabetes, hypertension, healthy eating, and dental hygeine, then began giving talks on her own.  It was very inspiring. 
I hope to continue inspiring people in Cien Fuegos to live healthier lives by creating health education modules that can be implemented by the community members. 

1 comment:

  1. it is great blog. I really love how it is easy on my it is. I’m wondering how I might be notified whenever a new post has been made.Keep writing continue.
    Quincy Dentist

    ReplyDelete